› Advanced Classroom Expertise Teacher Recognition
Advanced Classroom Expertise Teacher Recognition
Portfolio submissions are now open.
If you would like to view this page in te reo Māori, please click here.
If you have been invited to submit a portfolio for Advanced Classroom Expertise Teacher (ACET) recognition, the documents you and your principal require to complete this process are as follows:
Timeline for the process to be recognised as an Advanced Classroom Expertise Teacher
- 7 August 2017: Portfolio submissions close.
- 16 October 2017: Teachers will be notified of the outcome of their portfolio.
- 20 November 2017: Eligibility checked for teachers selected. Teachers notified of the outcome.
- 28 January 2018: First allowance payment.
About Advanced Classroom Expertise Teacher recognition
To recognise exemplary practice in primary teaching, the Advanced Classroom Expertise Teacher allowance was introduced as part of the settlement of the Primary Teachers’ Collective Agreement 2013-2015 (PTCA).
ACET recognition is based on eligibility and professional criteria agreed between the Ministry of Education and the New Zealand Educational Institute Te Riu Roa as part of that settlement.
Up to 800 primary teachers who meet the eligibility criteria in the PTCA or the applicable Individual Employment Agreement (IEA) and whose classroom practice is demonstrably higher than the Experienced Teacher Professional standards within the Interim Framework of Professional Standards for Teachers (Schedule 3 of the PTCA or the applicable IEA) can be recognised as an ACET.
An ACET will receive an ongoing additional allowance of $5,000 per annum, paid fortnightly through payroll effective 28 January 2018.
Teachers invited to submit a portfolio will need to demonstrate they have satisfied the agreed professional criteria below.
The portfolio is required to be certified by the principal as an accurate representation of the teacher’s classroom and professional practice. The principal will also make a recommendation on the basis of the portfolio.
- Practice demonstrably higher than the Experienced Teacher professional standards. Evidence is needed of practice that demonstrates creativity and innovation with ongoing development built on an evidential base from both research and academic theory, and sound analysis of children’s learning.
- Explicitly demonstrating positive outcomes for all learners with specific information about meeting the needs of students identified as ‘priority learners’ in government policy. Evidence is needed of positive student learning outcomes related to the New Zealand Curriculum or Te Marautanga o Aotearoa or other relevant official curriculum documents through taking account of, and planning for the learning needs of all children.
- Together with each of the following:
- Exemplary use of evidence and research to inform practice
Requires multiple sources of evidence and research referenced to inform and develop practice. A clear link between theory and its application to practice must be apparent. This should include evidence of the way it has developed the teacher's practice
- Exemplary engagement with families/whānau in improving outcomes for their children
Requires evidence of a pro-active approach and effective engagement with families/whānau that supports student learning
- Leadership in developing practice amongst peers
Requires evidence of strong professional relationships with colleagues that demonstrate leadership in teaching practice
- Exemplary ongoing professional learning and development
Requires evidence of ongoing professional learning and development as part of a regular in school appraisal process.
Sending the portfolio
The completed portfolios must be sent by post or courier and be postmarked no later than 7 August 2017.
Ministry of Education
Level 5, 33 Bowen Street
Ministry of Education
PO Box 1666
The ACET recognition team will send an email to let teachers know their portfolio has been received.
Sign up for a reminder email
If you would like to be reminded as portfolio submissions are closing, sign up here and we'll send you an email as the closing date approaches.
To contact the ACET recognition team at TeachNZ, phone 0800 165 225, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.