Coding and relief costs when a teacher or principal takes study or sabbatical leave

When a teacher or principal goes on study or sabbatical leave, their salary continues to be paid as normal by the school. Any relief costs resulting from study or sabbatical leave need to be charged to Teacher Study Awards. You cannot charge the teacher or principal’s salary to Study Awards.

If you allocate the relief teacher salary units for extra responsibilities, these units must be paid from your school’s unit entitlement. Units belonging to the teacher or principal on leave continue to be paid while they are on leave. You cannot charge units to Study Awards, they must be charged as a Higher Duties Allowance dollar equivalent.

If you have a teacher or principal on study or sabbatical leave and your school hasn’t received a coding notice or if you have any questions, please contact TeachNZ by calling 0800 165 225 or emailing

New Zealand Teachers Council New Zealand Education Gazette New Zealand Qualifications Authority Immigration New Zealand