NZ-trained teachers moving back from overseas

If you hold a New Zealand teaching qualification, and have been teaching overseas, here's some information to get you started on moving back home to teach. 

You’ll need to renew your registration

It is particularly important that you are registered and hold a current practising certificate before you arrive back in New Zealand. This includes vetting and screening. If you wait to apply for your registration until you return, you may experience delays in being able to apply for jobs.

What support is available for me if I want to return to New Zealand to teach?

New Zealand-trained school teachers who return to New Zealand to fill current vacancies may be eligible for relocation grants of up to $7000. Find out more information about the Overseas Relocation Grant.

Check out teaching opportunities in New Zealand and updates on the current teacher labour market in the New Zealand Education Gazette.

New Zealand Teachers Council New Zealand Education Gazette New Zealand Qualifications Authority Immigration New Zealand