Relocation Support Grant (RSG)
As a teacher coming to New Zealand to fill an Early Learning (EL) teaching vacancy, you may be eligible for a Relocation Support Grant (RSG) of up to $3000. You must already have begun full-time employment as a registered teacher in a licensed New Zealand EL service to be eligible for the grant.
Am I eligible for an RSG?
- You must be registered with the Teaching Council of Aotearoa
- You must have secured fulltime employment (permanent or fixed-term for at least 12 months) as a teacher in a licensed New Zealand early education service of one of the following types:
- You must have completed 12 weeks of teaching in this role.
- You must not have been residing in New Zealand for the 12 months prior to your start date in this employment.
- You must have incurred costs associated with your relocation to New Zealand.
- You must apply for the grant within six months of commencing this employment.
- Education and Care Centre
- Hospital-based Education and Care Centre
- Home-based Education and Care Service (as a network coordinator)
Eligible expenses and payment
The IRD defines the types of expenses that can be claimed as part of an RSG. Please refer to the IRD list of eligible expenses before starting your application as expenses not on the list will not reimbursed. You will need to provide proof of expenditure for each individual expense.
If your application is approved the amount paid will be the total of all eligible items for which proof of expenditure has been provided, up to a maximum of $3000NZ.
Use the application form at the top right corner of this page to apply. You will be required to upload the following documents:
- A letter (signed and on letterhead) from your employer confirming the following:
- Evidence of expenditure for all expenses being claimed
- Verified evidence of your New Zealand bank account and postal address (to enable payment)
- your name
- whether you have been employed on a permanent or fixed term basis
- the start date of your employment
- if employed on a fixed term basis, the end date of your employment agreement
- the approximate number of hours you work per week for this employer
You will be notified of the outcome within eight weeks of receipt of your application and if your application is approved you will receive your payment shortly thereafter.
Additional information is provided on the Frequently Asked Questions page.
For more information:
0800 165 225