Relocation Support Grant (RSG) Frequently asked questions

What is the maximum I can receive?

You can receive a maximum of $3000.

Will I get the maximum amount?

If your application is successful, you will be paid the total cost of all eligible items for which evidence has been provided, up to the grant maximum.

What types of expenses can be reimbursed?

The IRD defines the types of expenses that can be claimed as part of an RSG.

Eligible expenses fall into the following categories:

  • Preparatory
  • Transportation
  • Property
  • Individuals, dependants and miscellaneous

Refer to the IRD list of eligible expenses for more details.

Can I get reimbursement for purchasing a car?

Purchase of a car is not covered by the RSG. You can request reimbursement for the cost of hiring a replacement vehicle while your vehicle is being transported to your new location. If you are not transporting a vehicle, you can be reimbursed for a maximum of one month’s car hire.

Can I get reimbursement for a trip home to finalise the sale of my house or tidy-up other personal affairs?

Expenses relating to a trip to tidy-up affairs after relocating can be submitted for reimbursement. Note that costs relating to this must be reasonable and you may be asked to provide proof of the purpose of your trip. You cannot request reimbursement for future costs.

Who is covered under ‘immediate family’?

‘Immediate family’ includes your partner, dependent children and any dependent adults that are part of your household.

A dependent adult might be a dependent parent of yours or your partners or a disabled relative for whom you or your partner is the caregiver.

A member of my immediate family or my pet will be following me to New Zealand in the future. Can I claim costs relating to their relocation?

You cannot be reimbursed for costs that you will accrue in the future. If a member of your family or a pet will be joining you in New Zealand at a future time (to a maximum of 6 weeks from the date of your application) your application can be suspended until they have arrived and you can provide evidence of this expenditure. To do this, please advise us via email at after submitting your application.

What does the letter from my employer need to include?

As part of your application, you will need to provide a letter (signed and on letterhead) from your employer confirming the particulars of your employment. This letter must confirm that you are employed at the ECE service as a registered teacher on a full-time basis. The letter must also include the following information:

  • your name
  • whether you have been employed on a permanent or fixed term basis
  • the start date of your employment
  • if employed on a fixed term basis, the end date of your employment agreement
  • the approximate number of hours you work per week for this employer

How do I provide evidence of my relocation expenses?

In your application you will enter a list of the eligible expenses you wish to claim, including a description, amount and currency. For each expense you enter, you must upload a matching PDF copy of a receipt or invoice that clearly shows the amount and currency. Bank statements cannot be accepted as evidence of expenditure.


 RSG example.jpg 

Why do you need evidence of my bank account and postal address?

Details of your bank account and postal address are needed so you can receive payment if your application is approved. The easiest way to provide this is by uploading a copy of part of a bank statement that shows your postal address and full bank account number. This cannot be a screenshot but must be an uploaded hard copy verified as genuine by your bank.

How many hours do I need to work per week to be considered full-time?

For the purposes of the RSG, 30 or more hours per week is considered full-time.

Am I eligible for the RSG if I’m employed by a Playcentre or Casual Care Centre?

No. To be eligible for an RSG you must be employed by an early childhood centre that is required to employ qualified teachers. Playgroups and Casual Care Centres are not subject to this requirement.

If my application is approved, do I need to meet any other conditions to receive payment?

By receiving an RSG you are committing to fulfil your full-time teaching position, for at least 12 months.

What if I leave teaching in New Zealand before I complete 12 months of full-time employment?

If you cease teaching in New Zealand within 12 months of starting you may be required to pay back some or all of any RSG payment.

Are RSG payments taxed?

Payments for expenses deemed eligible by the IRD are not taxed.

I submitted my application but I haven’t heard back. When can I expect to be notified of the outcome?

While we endeavour to process applications within 8 weeks, processing can take longer if we need more information or documentation from you.

How are the payments made?

Payments are made to the bank account you nominate in your application.


New Zealand Teachers Council New Zealand Education Gazette New Zealand Qualifications Authority Immigration New Zealand