ORG eligibility

As an overseas-trained teacher coming to New Zealand to fill a teaching vacancy, you may be eligible for an overseas relocation grant (ORG) of up to $5000. Grants are distributed on a first in, first served basis, and teachers must already have commenced full-time employment in a state or state-integrated school to be eligible for the grant.

Am I eligible for an overseas relocation grant?

  • You need to be registered and certificated by the Education Council of New Zealand
  • You must not have taught in a NZ state or state-integrated school between 13 December 2016 and 12 December 2017
  • You must have secured either fulltime, permanent or fixed-term employment for at least 12 months in a New Zealand state or state-integrated school
  • You can only receive the grant once in a five year period
  • The start date of your employment must be between 1 April 2018 and 30 June 2019
  • You must apply for the grant within three months of starting employment in New Zealand
  • You need to provide evidence of the costs associated with your relocation, and you will be reimbursed the actual and reasonable cost of relocating, up to a maximum of $5,000 (GST exclusive)

The grant will be paid in two instalments – 50% after 10 weeks and 50% after 30 weeks of teaching in New Zealand. 

For more information: 
0800 165 225
Lead Adviser - Teacher Supply on (04) 463 7015  


You can apply by downloading the payment application form on the right side of this page.


New Zealand Teachers Council New Zealand Education Gazette New Zealand Qualifications Authority Immigration New Zealand