New Zealand Principal Job Shadow Pilot
The New Zealand Principal Job Shadow pilot has been modeled on the South Australia New Zealand Principal Exchange. It offers an opportunity for 6 Principals who are seeking development, to select the type of job shadow that would provide the growth they are looking for.
- A beginning or aspiring Principal shadows an experienced Principal
- English and Māori medium shadows
- Rural / isolated and urban setting shadows
- Primary, area or secondary school shadows in a different sector.
The job shadow will run through term 3 of 2019. The first stage of the shadow will occur over weeks 1 to 4 (22/7/19 to 16/8/19), then the second stage of the shadow will occur over weeks 6 to 9 (26/8/19 to 20/9/19).
Relieving costs for the Principals while they are away from their school or kura will be covered, as well as transport (flights/vehicle) and accommodation during the term of the job shadow.
Who can apply?
Principals' employed in a primary, area or secondary state or state integrated school in New Zealand. This includes teaching, deputy and assistant principals.
Applicants are divided into two categories:
- Applicant Principals - those seeking development, who would like to shadow principal in a different setting and with different experiences to their own. Applicant principals can also offer the opportunity for another applicant to shadow them in return
- Contributing Principals - Principals who feel others can benefit from shadowing themselves and experiencing the responsibilities associated with their role.
- Be an eligible Principal, including teaching, assistance or deputy Principal
- Be employed in a primary, area or secondary state or state integrated school in NZ
- New Zealand citizen, permanent resident or resident of at least 3 years
- Fully registered and certificated teacher
- Have the support of your school’s Board of Trustees
- Be available in Term three of 2019
- Not currently be under review or investigation for competence and/or conduct and discipline.
- Applications and expressions of interest open: 12/12/18
- Applications close: 11/3/19
- Applicants notified of outcome: 18/4/19
- Stage 1 job shadow, including one way shadows (term 3 weeks 1 to 4): 22/7/19 to 16/8/19
- Stage 2 job shadow (term 3 weeks 6 to 9): 26/8/19 to 20/9/19
- Regional debriefs: week of 28/10/19.
How to apply
Application forms will be made available to download from this page shortly.
For the time being, if you are interested in applying for the scheme, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you an application form as soon as it is available.
Please indicate whether you are applying to be an Applicant Principal or a Contributing Principal in this expression of interest.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com or call us on 0800 165 225.