Secondary teachers' study award

The Secondary Teachers' Study Award provides paid leave to complete part-time or full-time study in an agreed educational priority area. You can apply for leave to:

  • complete a qualification
  • improve an existing qualification
  • study a new qualifications in a new or different curriculum area
  • undertake research
  • undertake study that is relevant and adds value to secondary education
  • obtain practical knowledge and skill-related experience in your subject area.

Each year there are 75 full-time teacher equivalent (FTTE) study award opportunities available to secondary teachers in state or state-integrated schools, who are covered by the Secondary Teachers' Collective Agreement (STCA).

Applications for the 2020 Secondary Teachers' Study Awards are now open!

Apply now by downloading the pdf application form or using the online application form on the right hand of this page. 

If using the pdf application form, please save the form to your computer before entering any information.  You will find a series of frequently asked questions at the back of the form.

If you are using the online application form, you can access the frequently asked questions by clicking here.

Am I eligible for a Secondary Teachers’ Study Award?

If you wish to apply for a Secondary Teachers' Study Award, you must be:

  • employed under the Secondary Teachers' Collective Agreement (STCA) or applicable Individual Employment Agreement (IEA)
  • a permanently appointed full-time or part-time teacher in a New Zealand state or state-integrated school
  • a full-time long-term relieving or fixed-term teacher in a New Zealand state or state-integrated school.

You cannot undertake a study award at the same time as being appointed to a Community Teacher (across community) role.

Guidance counsellors covered by the STCA may apply. Fixed-term and long-term relieving part-time teachers and day relievers are not eligible to apply.

Contact Us

We're here to help. If you can't find the answer you're looking for in the application guidelines, get in touch with us by calling 0800 165 225 or email

New Zealand Teachers Council New Zealand Education Gazette New Zealand Qualifications Authority Immigration New Zealand