Applying for registration

The Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand is responsible for teacher registration.

You can apply for provisional registration as soon as you've graduated. When you first apply for registration, you’ll be granted provisional registration and a practising certificate that expires after three years. You’re expected to gain full registration within the three-year timeframe, but you can apply for an extension to a maximum of six years if you are unable for a valid reason to gain full registration within that first three-year period.

Early Childhood Education

Graduates with early childhood education teaching qualifications are entitled to seek teacher registration from the Teaching Council. All teachers at supervisor level in early childhood services must be registered with the Education Council before beginning teaching employment.

Primary and Secondary

All teachers at primary and secondary level must be registered with the Teaching Council before beginning teaching employment.

For more information, please contact:

Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand
Level 7, 80 Boulcott Street
Wellington 6011, New Zealand

PO Box 5326, Wellington 6140, New Zealand

Phone: +64 (0) 4 471 0852



New Zealand Teachers Council New Zealand Education Gazette New Zealand Qualifications Authority Immigration New Zealand