Existing Scholarship holders

Scholarship Payments for current scholarship holders

For any payments (fees or allowances) to be processed, TeachNZ must assess your full transcript of results at the end of your academic year.

In February each year, we request results digitally from your academic provider. If you have your results prior to this, you can send them in using the correct format to TeachNZ for assessment.

Note: those classified as a TeachNZ Scholarship mid-year recipient must provide TeachNZ with your full results.

It is your responsibility to make sure TeachNZ receives your full transcript of results should your academic provider not do so. Failure to submit your results could jeopardize your scholarship.

When sending in results, one of the following will be acceptable:

  • An original academic transcript (accepted via post only)
  • A copy of the original transcript certified by someone such as a JP, school principal, police officer or solicitor, accepted via post or email.
  • A printout of your final results from your online student account verified by someone at your education provider’s registry office, accepted via post or email.
  • A printout of your final results from your online student account certified by someone such as a JP, school principal, police officer or solicitor, accepted via post or email. The certified printout MUST contain the following in order to be accepted: ‘Original results seen online; this is a true and accurate copy.’
  • A digital copy of your transcript emailed or faxed directly to us from your education provider.
  • eQuals results emailed directly to us at teachnz.admin@education.govt.nz.

Please note: Only certified copies will be accepted via email to teachnz.admin@education.govt.nz. Certified copies are those which have been stamped on every page. All original documents MUST be posted, and will be returned upon request.

Should you have any questions please contact us.

General Scholarship FAQs


To receive an allowance payment at the end of the academic year, you need to be a full-time student (or have ‘limited full-time status’ from StudyLink) and pass all of your study.

For further information including allowance amounts please refer to the allowance schedules here.

Course Fees

To be eligible for your course fees you must continue to pass at least 50% of your study within each academic year. As long as you pass at least half your papers you’re eligible to have your course fees paid the following year, up to the minimum required to complete your qualification.

Please note that TeachNZ cannot guarantee to pay your course fees by the due date. That means you need to pay the fees yourself by the due date each year by StudyLink Student Loan or other means.

Once we have paid your fees, your tertiary provider will refund what you’ve paid – either onto your Student Loan or direct to you if you paid the fees yourself.

How are allowances and course fees paid?

Allowances are paid into your bank account by StudyLink. Course fees are paid directly to your tertiary provider by StudyLink. You will receive a notification letter once a payment has been made.

Back to top

Failure, incompletion or withdrawal

If you fail and must re-sit papers or take non-compulsory papers, you may need to cover the cost of some fees yourself in your final year. If you pass less than half your study in a year your scholarship may be withdrawn and any fees and allowances paid out to you will be added to your Student Loan*.

Get in touch with us if you think that this may happen so that we can talk through your options with you.

* Applies to scholarships awarded after mid-year 2006 only. Defaulters of scholarships awarded prior to June 2006 are required to repay the scholarship directly to the Ministry of Education. See your scholarship terms and conditions for more information.

Changes to your study

You must tell TeachNZ about all changes to your study – this includes dropping a paper and picking up another, as there may be a difference in cost. See Changing Tertiary Provider or Qualification and Withdrawal sections.

Changing your tertiary provider or qualification 

Your scholarship is approved for the qualification and tertiary provider that you had when you were first awarded the scholarship. If you want to change to a different qualification or tertiary provider you must let us know so that the change can be approved for your scholarship.

Back to top

Full-time study

To be considered full time you must study at least 0.8 EFTS (Equivalent Full-Time Student) within the academic year (0.8 EFTS is equivalent to 96 credits or points at most providers).

Credits awarded to you through cross-crediting or RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) are not included by TeachNZ when assessing whether or not your study has been full time.

If you’re not sure whether you are a full-time student you can check with your tertiary provider or TeachNZ.

Part-time study

You may study part time while you have the scholarship but you will not be eligible for a TeachNZ Scholarship Allowance, unless you have limited full-time status from StudyLink. You will still be eligible for the payment of your course fees.

You can check if you are eligible for limited full-time status by visiting the StudyLink website and completing a limited full-study application form.

Postponing study

You need to tell TeachNZ if you intend to defer your study for any length of time so that we can talk through your options with you. You can take a break from study for up to one year and resume your scholarship when you return.

If you stop studying for more than a year, your scholarship may be withdrawn and any course fees or allowances received from your scholarship will be added to your Student Loan.

Back to top


It’s important that you speak to your tertiary provider about a refund if you withdraw from study. Your education provider will have a formal withdrawal procedure and may have only a small window of opportunity at the start of the semester for course fees to be refunded. A paper that you withdraw from without a refund or that you don’t complete is considered to be a failed paper by TeachNZ. Talk to your tertiary provider and TeachNZ as soon as you can if you decide to withdraw or stop studying for any reason.

Default and Repayment

Default: As per the terms and conditions you agreed to and signed upon taking up the scholarship, if you do not meet the stated requirements, you will be required to repay all or part of the funds awarded to you. Depending on the exact date you signed your agreement, you must either settle your debt through the Ministry of Education Finance Unit or StudyLink/IRD as a student loan.

Repayment: If you fall into default of the terms and conditions while in study, you shall be liable to repay all funds received during the scholarship (fees and allowances). If you fall into default during your bond period, depending on the amount of teaching that you have evidenced, you will be liable to repay all or a percentage (as per your terms and conditions) of the total funds received during the scholarship.

If you wish to have a copy of or know the year you signed your terms and conditions, please contact us.

Information about you

You must keep us up to date with your study and contact details as we don’t automatically receive information about you from StudyLink or your tertiary provider.


We do not share information about you with any other person, agency or organisation (with the exception of the agencies listed in your scholarship terms and conditions). If you’d like someone else – a family member, friend or other advocate – to speak to TeachNZ on your behalf about your scholarship, please contact us and ask for an Appointment of Representative form.

Contact Us

If you have any questions, you can call us during business hours on 0800 165 225 or email us at teachnz.admin@education.govt.nz.

Alternatively, if you’d like to write to us our postal address is:

Ministry of Education
PO Box 1666
Wellington 6140
New Zealand

Back to top

New Zealand Teachers Council New Zealand Education Gazette New Zealand Qualifications Authority Immigration New Zealand