Te Reo Māori (Secondary or Wharekura) Scholarships
The 2019 TeachNZ Māori Medium and Te Reo Māori Scholarships (Secondary or Wharekura) are now open.
Apply online, or by post, now.
Please complete your application by 22 February 2019 for it to be considered in the second round of assessment. You will be notified of your outcome by 28 March 2019.
If you're thinking of applying, we can also offer you some helpful advice before you complete your application. Click here to find out more.
Note: You do not need to be enrolled in an approved teaching programme when applying for these TeachNZ scholarships.
The information below applies to the 2019 TeachNZ Te Reo Māori (Secondary or Wharekura) Scholarships.
The 2019 TeachNZ Te Reo Māori (Secondary or Wharekura) Scholarships are for people who are either proficient or fluent in te reo Māori and who wish to work as secondary teachers.
Scholarships cover core study fees and an allowance of $10,000 over the period of study.
Which scholarship is right for me?
- Tipu Whakarito Te Reo Māori - for people wanting to teach te reo Māori as a subject in secondary schools.
- Te Waka Whakarei - for people wanting to teach a secondary subject in te reo Māori in Wharekura.
- be a New Zealand citizen, permanent resident or resident of at least three years
- have proficiency in te reo Māori to a level that meets the requirements of the tertiary provider
- have leadership experience
- have support from iwi and/or Māori leaders in the community
Tipu Whakarito Te Reo Maori:
- Already have or be enrolled in a degree that enables study of at least one 300-level paper in Māori studies, development, language, culture or society, followed by a Graduate Diploma/Master of Secondary Teaching or be enrolled in a conjoint degree.
Te Waka Whakarei:
- Already have or be enrolled in a degree that enables study of at least one 300-level paper in a specialist secondary subject, for teaching to a senior level, followed by a Graduate Diploma/Master of Secondary Teaching or be enrolled in a conjoint degree.
You can learn more about scholarships by reading our Scholarships: Frequently Asked Questions page.
Remember, we’re here to help. If you have any questions, you can email us at email@example.com or call us during business hours on 0800 165 225.