Qualifications and Registration

For New Zealand qualified school and early childhood teachers returning, if you have been teaching while away, you’ll need to have these things sorted before teaching again in New Zealand:

  • Confirmation of your registration status. Check your status with the Education Council of Aotearoa New Zealand.
  • Police clearance from any overseas country where you have lived for 12 months or more in the last 10 years. (It’s much easier to get police clearance before returning to NZ. If you apply for it from NZ, you may experience considerable delays).
  • New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) assessment if you’ve studied extra qualifications overseas
  • For pay purposes, you must produce recognition of relevant work while overseas. This is known as a Statement of Service and must be from each educational employer:
    • It must be on original letterhead
    • It must state start and finish dates
    • It must state whether employment was part time or full time and, if part time, it must state the number of days worked (especially important if your employer was an agency). It must also state whether the service was continuous.

If you are a New Zealand-qualified teacher who hasn’t been teaching while overseas, you will need to have these things sorted before teaching again in New Zealand:

  • Registration status**
  • For pay purposes, recognition of relevant work while overseas

**Once you have been out of teaching for more than three years you will not be able to renew your practising certificate as you will not meet the requirement of teaching two of the previous five years. This means you will need to apply for subject to confirmation registration.

New Zealand Teachers Council New Zealand Education Gazette New Zealand Qualifications Authority Immigration New Zealand