New Zealand schools are responsible for employing their own staff. There is no central staffing agency and no government department responsible for staff placement. All applications should be made to the employing school. In early childhood services, teachers are employed by the licensee or owner of the service.

There are two main ways you can find a teaching position:

  • You can apply directly to ECE centres or schools which are advertising vacancies. Vacancies can be found in the Education Gazette or the Education Gazette Online, both are continuously updated.
  • You can also choose to use the services of a teacher recruitment agency. TeachNZ has advice on specialist teacher recruitment agencies. Click here for more information.

Beginning Teacher Support

The change from student-teacher to teacher can be demanding which is why new Primary and Secondary teachers are offered additional support.

Under the Beginning Teacher Allowance first year teachers are given mentors, and time out of the classroom each week for advice and guidance purposes. In their second year, time out from the classroom is also granted but for a lesser period. The school board is responsible for applying for the allowance on the teacher's behalf.

New Zealand Teachers Council New Zealand Education Gazette New Zealand Qualifications Authority Immigration New Zealand