Recruitment, Retention and Responsibility National Fund
More schools are now eligible to apply for a grant to top-up pay when employing Limited Authority to Teach (LAT) teachers.
The 3RNF (Recruitment, Retention and Responsibility National Fund) covers the extra payments schools can offer to attract or retain a LAT.
A LAT allows a school to employ someone with skills that are in short supply, often people who have specialist skills but no teaching qualification, such as industry specialists in technology subjects. People teaching with a LAT are paid as untrained teachers, which can mean a significant reduction in their income.
Schools can apply to use this fund when they have not been able to recruit a registered and certificated teacher, and where they cannot afford to pay the 3RNF allowance without the support of the fund.
All state and state-integrated schools can apply to this fund if they meet all of the following criteria:
- the person offered the position must hold a LAT granted by the Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand (Teaching Council) at the time of applying for funding
- the position has been advertised in the Education Gazette and either:
- no registered and certificated teachers applied for the position; OR
- any registered and certificated teacher(s) who applied were demonstrably unsuited to the advertised position
- the position is being offered for a fixed term period of at least 12 months
- The Ministry of Education will check the LAT register on the Teaching Council website to ensure an application meets the eligibility criteria.
- schools cannot afford to pay the allowance without the support of the fund
- the school has not claimed a 3NF payment for that LAT practitioner in the current calendar year
How much is the allowance?
3RNF payments are:
- $4,000 per payment for a LAT in a secondary school or area school, up to a maximum of $8,000 per LAT
- $2,750 per payment for those with a LAT in a primary school, up to a maximum of $8,250 per LAT.
Schools can apply for more than one 3R payment, as long as each LAT position meets the eligibility criteria.